Impacts of the 1997-98 El Niño Event in Cuba

Lino Diaz, Pedro Pérez, Abel Artola, Oscar Ojeda, Yamila Eduarte and Amparo Benítez (2000). Impacts of the 1997-98 El Niño Event in Cuba. Reducing the Impact of Environmental Emergencies through Early Warning and Preparedness in the Case of El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO). United Nations University.

Document type:
Report
Collection:

Metadata
Documents
Versions
Statistics
  • Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UNU Collections credentials)
    Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
    Cuba.pdf Cuba.pdf application/pdf 1.74MB
  • Sub-type Technical report
    Author Lino Diaz
    Pedro Pérez
    Abel Artola
    Oscar Ojeda
    Yamila Eduarte
    Amparo Benítez
    Editor Lino Diaz
    Title Impacts of the 1997-98 El Niño Event in Cuba
    Series Title Reducing the Impact of Environmental Emergencies through Early Warning and Preparedness in the Case of El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO)
    Publication Date 2000
    Place of Publication Havana, Cuba
    Publisher United Nations University
    Pages LVII, 57
    Language eng
    Abstract The Republic of Cuba is an independent state, located in the Meso-American Caribbean Sea and at the entrance of The Gulf of Mexico. Cuba is the biggest insular state in this basin and it is constituted by an archipelago of 110,860 km2 in area, 105,599 km2 of which corresponds to the main island (Cuba) which gives the name to the country; the rest includes the Island of Youth and 1600 other islands and keys (Figure 1.1). Cuba is very near the continental territory of the United States. It is separated only by a narrow stretch of water between the United States (to the north) and Mexico (to the west). The Republic of Cuba is divided administratively into fourteen provinces and these, in turn, are divided into municipalities. These are the basic administrative units and there is a total of 168 in the country. Additionally, a special municipality is constituted by the Island of Youth, the second in importance in the archipelago. The most western Province of Cuba is Pinar del Rio that is bordered on the West by the Strait of Yucatan. The easternmost Province is Guantánamo whose shores are bathed by the waters of the "Paso de los Vientos" which separate Cuba and Haiti. The political and administrative capital of Cuba is Havana City, which, in turn, constitutes the smallest province in extension of the country. Plains constitute 82% of Cuban territory. This landform constitutes the majority of fertile lands that support intense agricultural activity and makes up the main economic sector of the country. The agricultural area covers 3,701,459 ha, of which 2,606,136 are devoted to the permanent cultivation of sugar cane (the main crop with 1,800,000 ha), coffee, cocoa and citrus fruits. Almost 3,000,000 ha of the Cuban territory are covered by forests. 53.7% of the arable land is in the hands of the State, while the rest (46.3%) belongs to private
    UNBIS Thesaurus EL NINO CURRENT
    CLIMATE
    CUBA
    NATURAL DISASTERS
    WATER RESOURCES
    METEOROLOGY
    Copyright Holder United Nations University
    Copyright Year 2000
    Copyright type All rights reserved
  • Versions
    Version Filter Type
  • Citation counts
    Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
    Access Statistics: 188 Abstract Views, 43 File Downloads  -  Detailed Statistics
    Created: Wed, 10 Nov 2021, 13:44:58 JST