Digital inclusion and gender-associated indicators: A critical review of post-2010 literature

Meyerhoff Nielsen, Morten and Makpor, Mercy, "Digital inclusion and gender-associated indicators: A critical review of post-2010 literature" - 14th International Conference on Theory and Practice of Electronic Governance (ICEGOV 2021), Athens, 2021/10/06/08.

Document type:
Conference Publication

Metadata
Documents
Links
Versions
Statistics
  • Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UNU Collections credentials)
    Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
    t05-p17-63.pdf Full paper for download application/pdf 398.44KB
  • Sub-type Conference paper
    Author Meyerhoff Nielsen, Morten
    Makpor, Mercy
    Title Digital inclusion and gender-associated indicators: A critical review of post-2010 literature
    Event Series International Conference on Theory and Practice of Electronic Governance (ICEGOV)
    Publication Date 2022-01
    Place of Publication New York
    Publisher Association for Computing Machinery
    Pages 6
    Title of Event - 14th International Conference on Theory and Practice of Electronic Governance (ICEGOV 2021)
    Date of Event 2021/10/06/08
    Place of Event Athens
    Language eng
    Abstract With the ever-increasing pace of technology innovation and rapid digital transformation of society, the impact on digital inclusion, and particularly gender equity is surprisingly under-analyzed. The article outlines and classifies the concept of digital inclusion and its effects on traditionally marginalized groups, specifically, girls and women. In doing so, the article reviews existing literature on digital inclusion and answers a core research question: What are some of the underlying monitoring indicators for monitoring and measuring the state of digital inclusion and digital gender divide identified in the academic literature to date? Based on a scoping review, an initial 8,527 documents published between 1951 and January 2021, were identified as having some relevance to the digital inclusion of marginalized communities. Our analysis found that 208 publications include gender. Of the 208 publications, 116 publications (56%) were excluded as they focused mainly on technology use in healthcare provision and assisted living for adults and the elderly rather than digital inclusion and gender. The remaining 92 publications (44%) covered gender relating to the digital inclusion of men and women, boys and girls, and the digital gender divide. Our review finds that the effects of digital inclusion on the traditionally marginalized particularly gender continues to be under-analyzed. The bulk of research recognized the digital inclusion of girls and women as important but do not go into great detail on the underlying causes or impacts. We find that most gender-specific literature on digital inclusion is on developed economies in the northern hemisphere. We also observed a lack of user and geographical segmentation when it comes to gender, the location, and socio-economic context of the digitally excluded. In conclusion, there is an urgent need for a more in-depth analysis of the drivers of gender-specific digital inclusion and barriers resulting in exclusion, particularly so in emerging economies.
    UNBIS Thesaurus GENDER
    Keyword digital inclusion
    digital gender divide
    digital transformation
    indicators
    monitoring and measurement
    Copyright Holder Association for Computing Machinery
    Copyright Year 2021
    Copyright type All rights reserved
    ISBN 9781450390118
    DOI 10.1145/3494193.3494211
  • Versions
    Version Filter Type
  • Citation counts
    Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
    Access Statistics: 483 Abstract Views, 284 File Downloads  -  Detailed Statistics
    Created: Wed, 26 Jan 2022, 02:09:02 JST by Mario Peixoto on behalf of UNU EGOV